[TowerTalk] elevated short vertical dipole orquarterwave monopole?

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Fri Dec 3 13:31:53 EST 2004

> Hey, while we are on the subject, how about gamma matched
> yagis. I have a friend who swears by using a gamma match
> on his yagis with no feedline choke.

When I had a gamma matched Wilson 20M yagi, the common mode
voltage on the coax was so high the coax actually arced
between the tower leg and the coax shield. I was only using
a 4-1000A amplifier, so it isn't like I had a lot of power
either.

That's my only experience with a gamma matched Yagi.

I'd bet the whole antenna is pretty much unbalanced.

73 Tom