[TowerTalk] radials for shunt fed tower

Jamesnf at aol.com Jamesnf at aol.com
Sun Dec 5 10:47:35 EST 2004

Howard,

If you're going to add some set number of additional radials, without
question, adding more 130' radials would be more beneficial than adding 65' radials.
For a fixed number of radials, longer is better than shorter. However, if
your question is really how to optimize the use of some set amount of wire, refer
to the Al Christman, K3LC, article "Maximum Gain Radial Ground Systems For
Vertical Antennas" in the March/Arprl edition of NCJ.  He lays it all out there
very nicely.

Also Howard, you gave choices in quarter wave (at 3.5 MHz) increments, 65' or
130'.  The optimum use of your wire will likely turn out to be something
other than quarter wave increments.  There is no need or advantage to cutting
radials to "resonant" lengths if they are on/in the ground.

If you didn't save your copy of NCJ, let me know and I'll get it to you as an
Adobe Reader email attachment.

73,

Jim W9TM