[TowerTalk] radials for shunt fed tower

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Dec 5 14:32:20 EST 2004

> I have been using my shunt fed tower for 160 with
satsisfactory results. I
> have between 20 and 30 radials of about 130 ft. I recently
added a second
> and separate shunt feed for 80 meters and plan to add
additional radials.
> Which would be more beneficial cutting additional radials
to ~65 ft or ~130
> ft?

Every actual measurement I've seen has indicated when more
than a few radials are used adding short radials between
long ones is a waste of wire. Same for ground screens, no
need for one when adequate radials are used.

I wouldn't bend over backwards over-engineering a radial
system since the least accurate and most variable place to
collect data or model antennas is when wires are placed near
earth. That's a fact!

With more wires just make them as long as you can in every
direction, and absolutely no need to go closer than .025WL
at the wire's open end.

73 Tom