[TowerTalk] 50 ft self supporting tower

Alan C. Zack k7acz at cox.net
Sun Dec 5 19:42:52 EST 2004

My city required 90 MPH wind calcs per IBC-2000.  UBC-97 specs were
rejected.  They will most likely require the calcs to be wet stamped
by a PE licensed in your state.
If you are buying a new tower get these calcs and a bldg permit before
ordering your tower.  I started with US Towers.  They provided 75 MPH
wind calcs under UBC-97 codes.  Not acceptable.  I asked US Towers for
the 90 MPH wind calcs.  They said they needed to go to an out sourced
PE to do the calcs for $250.00.  I told them go ahead.  After 3
months, many phone calls and emails still no 90 MPH calcs.  Was
finally told NO US Towers crank up would pass 90 MPH calcs.  Went to
Heights Towers in FL, got the wind calcs for the tower I wanted OK.
It is now in the air.
GL