[TowerTalk] Ground Radials Insulated or Not

Chuck wcmoore at verizon.net
Mon Dec 6 07:31:04 EST 2004

I think the article by K3LC answers my question about the best number of radials for the installation in my particular application. The nest question I have is what benefit if any is there to using bare wire as opposed to insulated wire in the radial system.

When I go to the local houses to buy wire it is cheaper to buy 12 or 14 guage spooled insulated wire rather then bare wire. When I look at ordering it online buying locally is more attractive from a cost point since shipping has thus far made online orders significantly more expensive then local purchases.

Does direct earth contact buy anything as opposed to insulated radials with respect to use as the rf ground?

Chuck WD4HXG