[TowerTalk] Ground Radials Insulated or Not

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 6 12:50:41 EST 2004

At 08:18 AM 12/6/2004 -0800, Michael Tope wrote:
> From a performance point of view, I suspect it doesn't make
>any difference at all whether the wires are insulated or not.
>One consideration that I haven't heard discussed with regard
>to radials, however,  is lightning protection. Wouldn't it be better
>from a lightning perspective to have at least some of the radials
>in the system uninsulated? Perhaps a few heavy radials (6 to 8)
>made from #4 bare copper interspersed with the balance of the
>radial system made from whatever is cheapest. Just a thought.
>
>Mike, W4EF......................................

One might argue that you want to keep the "RF grounding" function of the
antenna (which, after all, is connected to the coax shield) separate from
the "lightning current discharge" function.

The junction from antenna/tower/whathaveyou to the lightning ground is
going to rise in voltage pretty substantially, regardless of how good the
ground is. A notional 5 ohm ground with 10kA lightning stroke current is
going to go to 50 kV.

I'll have to look for the details, but I seem to recall that one of the
analyses that NEC-4/NEC-3 were designed for was to look at whether
lightning grounds should be combined with RF grounds (particularly radial
fields).  I do recall that they came up with the surprising finding that
with elevated radials, the performance with the radial field connected to
the ground stake was worse than with them separate.

Jim, W6RMK