[TowerTalk] (another)Problem That Needs Ideas,

Tom Scott tomrscott at sterlink.net
Wed Dec 8 16:24:36 EST 2004

Chuck,

Any time you have to drive a control voltage at significant current down a
long line the resistance of the line forms a voltage divider with the load
and drops your voltage. What you really want in this case (long lines
feeding a resistive/inductive load, motors, relays, etc.) is a constant
current source. That way you don't care how long the line is. There is a
real simple circuit configuration to do that on the data sheet of several
versions of a three pin adjustable voltage regulator (LM317, LM338, and some
others).

It only requires the regulator and one low ohm resistor. If you need a weird
value resistor you can tweak it by paralelling several if you have trouble
getting just the right value. You really don't need an engineering degree to
do this. Three pins on one part, and two on the other. You can get the LM338
in a 5amp version with a TO-3 package (needs a heat sink for full power
though).

If memory serves me (please verify with the data sheet before trying this)
you put the resistor in series with the regulator's output pin and connect
the adjustment pin to the other side of the resistor along with the load. I
think the resistor value in ohms was equal to the current desired in amps.
You start with a power supply of enough voltage to handle the drop, and the
constant current will insure that you get enough current for starting and
yet prevent over heating. This is REAL simple and works great. The circuit
is toward the back pages of the data sheet on several of these regulators
from different vendors.

You can figure out the current you needed if you don’t have a spec for your
motor or relay by running it through an amps meter with short leads and the
voltage it is specified for. Then set up a current source for that much
current and supply the current source with a higher voltage.

I drove a 3V screwdriver motor through 1000' of wire using a 24V supply and
it worked perfectly, never overheated or stalled.

          27005 NE Neill Road     Newberg, Oregon     97132-9446
503-538-5839 Home   503-330-6867 Cell   503-554-9468 Fax   KD7DMH