[TowerTalk] My Ameritron Switch Problem Solved

Pat Chiles patchiles at adelphia.net
Thu Dec 9 10:04:45 EST 2004

Well folks, it pains me to admit it, but my problem is apparently a poorly soldered Pl259.  The more I have troubleshot the problem the easier it has become to recreate.  It is now at the point where I can create the problem on demand by pressing the cable in certain directions and fix it by pressing it in another direction.  I did not get a chance to replace the PL259 yesterday due to a medical emergency within my family.  Hopefully, today it will not be too cold to solder outside.  I really don't want to lay the tower over and unbundle all the cables so I can solder inside.

I received 20 replies to my plea for help.  All but one was sent to Towertalk and that one was from a local ham in the form of a quick email.  His analysis was a flakey Pl259 and so it was.  Every email contained some really good ideas on weird things that can be wrong. Thank each and everyone of you for your time and patience,  Happy Holidays.

Pat, K8PC