[TowerTalk] ICE 419A Combination Bandpass Filter 10M Section Blown

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sat Dec 11 12:23:07 EST 2004

> I had a set of ICE bandpass filters that never saw more
than 100w - used
> them on my Icom 751A to drive an amp. After I had used
them for a few years
> I checked for insertion loss and passband. Some had
changed. When I opened
> up the ones that had changed I could see some caps that
were blackened and
> they had a burnt smell. That's when I bought a set of
W3NQN filters.

It makes sense that if two samples fail in a few hours at
200 watts, they will be very marginal at 100 watts over
longer periods of time.

If someone supplies the circuit configuration and the
component values, I can calculate the current through the
capacitors.

73 Tom