[TowerTalk] Multi Band Antenna Query

ABowenN4OO abowen at nettally.com
Sun Dec 12 17:52:00 EST 2004

I am considering a backup plus portable antenna. After some research and a
lot of rationalization, I have decided that an MFJ AV640 will take care of
my modest requirements. I owned an R7 Cushcraft some years ago, which
worked reasonably well at about 8 ft off ground, but exhibited SWR changes
if you elevated it higher or lower. It also did not like high power, over
about 500 W.

Anyone have comment or counsel on the AV 640? It appears to be free of the
traps that gave problems when high power was applied to the R7. In any
event, I probably would not run more than 200 W into the 640; even less
with portable operation.

It is somewhat cheaper than the competing "no radial" equivalents.

Comments solicited.

INK N4OO