[TowerTalk] Re: Freestanding Rohn 55

kk9a at arrl.net kk9a at arrl.net
Fri Dec 17 09:33:13 EST 2004

This sounds pretty shaky.  I certainly wouldn't climb it.

John KK9A

To: TOWERTALK at contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Freestanding Rohn 55
From: Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 07:25:04 EST

I know I posted on this one before and I don't recommend more than 40 or 50
feet of freestanding 55.

However..........One of the local WISP guys had a tower with around 90 feet
of 55 attached to his shop with a house bracket at around 10 feet, which
left
80 feet freestanding.  On it he had four runs of hardline, several omnis,
and a
directive array for 2.4 gHz.  After Charlie and Frances came through the
area
with around 75 MPH I expected 900 pounds of tower to be horizontal.  To my
surprise, it was still standing after both storms.

God watches over children and fools!

Bill K4XS