[TowerTalk] Rusty tower

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Sun Dec 19 13:20:15 EST 2004

Jim, et. al:

One of the companies in our family owned corporation used to be
Riverside Industries of Tulsa OK, Provo UT, and Fort Worth TX.  They
made huge high voltage electrical transmission towers. The Fort Worth
plant also had a large 300+ ft. tall "test bed" (yes it was lighted per
the FAA) where towers would be assembled and cables attached and then
the tower stressed to whatever design limits the customer wanted.  The
tests would usually stress a design to the point where it ripped apart
just to see what it would take, usually far in excess of design specs.

Several times while I was in college and later I was asked to take
photos of the plants for in house use and annual reports.

All three plants had several large open tanks where large pieces of
steel that were to be assembled into towers were dipped during
galvanizing.  The galvanizing process is a several step operation.
There were a couple near boiling point "pickling baths" of various
acids, etc. that dissolved, neutralized, etc. any rust, corrosion, dirt,
etc. on the steel.  You had to leave these steel sections in the picking
and neutralization baths long enough to heat them up.  To drop a piece
of cold (temperature) steel into the galvanizing zinc solution meant
risking the zinc "explode" showering the area with bits of what had been
molten zinc.  I was never there when this happened, but I saw the
results of someone not heating the steel enough by all of the
galvanizing splatters on the inside of the building.  It could be a real
mess.  State and local EPA officials were real particular how we
disposed of the pickling materials when the plant(s) drained and
refilled them with new chemicals.  Also the pickling materials could
really open up your sinuses if you got too close.

I know actually very little technically about the galvanizing process
since I was a newspaper reporter/photographer. I just related what the
employees and foremen in the plant told me when I'd visit there, since I
also had to occasionally write stories for the company employee
newspaper and annual report.

Tom, WW5L