[TowerTalk] Rusty tower

Cqtestk4xs at aol.com Cqtestk4xs at aol.com
Sun Dec 19 22:35:17 EST 2004

In a message dated 12/20/04 3:10:11 AM Greenwich Standard Time,
kd4e at verizon.net writes:
Other than a costly fiber optic camera inspection how might one
establish the interior integrity of used and rusty tower sections?
Generally, I like to check the ends of the tower.  The water likes to collect
at the joints. If they are clean and shiny or even just a dull color as far
as you can see into the tower on both ends of the tubes, they should be fine.
The water seems to collect at the joints.

I'd be more concerned about hairline cracks in the weld joints, especially in
the non-steel towers...older Heights and Universal towers.

Bill K4XS