[TowerTalk] Cushcraft A3S fiberglass center insulator

Doug Lefever k3qs at verizon.net
Mon Dec 20 20:27:42 EST 2004

Hello, I just acquired a used Cushcraft A3S with 40 meter add on. I think I
will replace all the plastic end caps, since many are cracking, and I'm
wondering about the center insulator. It is totally void of paint, and the
fibers are visible. Whenever I've seen bare fiberglass radomes, they were on
very old antennas which needed a coat of paint.

I'm wondering if this insulator should be replaced when it looks like this,
or are they unpainted when new?

Thanks