[TowerTalk] guying of 45' telescoping pole

ersmar at comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Tue Dec 28 10:48:07 EST 2004

Terry:

     One thing you might want to consider with your telescoping mast is replacing the cotter pins that come with it to pin the extended sections.  I used a telescoping mast to hold up a small ATV array and didn't believe the flimsy pins would support the dead load as well as resist the shear force of the downward-pulling guy wires.

     I drilled out the holes for the cotter pins to accept 3/16 inch galvanized bolt hardware.  I used two bolts per joint but that might have been overkill.  In any case the mast and antennas were up on my garage roof, guyed to the roof, for years before we rebuilt the garage and I had to take down the array.

     FWIW.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F