[TowerTalk] Which better: TOP of hill or SIDE of hill?

Guy Olinger, K2AV olinger at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 29 12:30:39 EST 2004

I'm really not sure why you are having this problem. I would concede
that for frequencies where 3 element yagis are common, gain effects
will be foreground. Front to back is another matter if it's an issue
and you really want to know.

It's easy enough to verify this. Just do a free space run on the
antenna at issue and if it has limited radiation down and behind (as
in a decent 3 element yagi), the gain effect of terrain down and
behind is likewise limited.

In HFTA can you define a "zero" terrain point behind the hill and move
the antenna away from the terrain "zero" point to the front of the
hill or is it hard coded to the zero point used for the map data?

I just rechecked that I can model down a slope with TA using a dipole
as an antenna. It does both sides of the dipole pattern, and I know
that I can create a reverse pattern input to TA and work it backwards.
If you place the antenna at the zero point in terrain TA appears to
assume "flat" behind it.

In order to do the offsetting to get a correct bi-directional dipole
result you have to have a terrain file where the "zero" horizontal
point is sufficiently behind you. As far backward as forward, so that
effectively you have two foregrounds defined.

Then (in TA), just drag the antenna "dot" to the middle of the range
and set it at the various points you wish to test. It's very easy to
check it out.

HOWEVER, neither program will recalculate a pattern for effects of
near ground for wire antennas, two element (or "short" boom) yagis
caused by sloping ground or interaction in a stack. Both programs
presume enough height and sufficient horizontal gain to make that
minimal, and really have no means to calculate otherwise.

This has consistently been a problem with stacks of two element beams
on 40m at ordinary heights (e.g 50' and 120'), requiring both the
antennas AND the neighborhood ground details (in 1 foot height
increments) IN THE ANTENNA MODEL to get real world results. Those
expecting a 3 db stack gain are in for a deflating surprise.

By 20 meters and three elements this appears to be a non-issue. No one
puts a pair of two element 20m yagis on a tower at 25' and 60'.

Keep working on the problem. You can make the slopes really play for
you.

If it were me, I'd have antennas on both sides of the slope, and
optimize the whole thing for my favorite contests, including
front-to-back issues.

73, Guy.