[TowerTalk] Re: Slopers, half slopers, (using the tower)

KJ0M kj0m at mchsi.com
Wed Dec 29 15:09:52 EST 2004

> On Sep 25, 2004, at 8:57 PM, Tower (K8RI) wrote:
>
>> Any one have experience with "half slopers"? (half of a half wave with
>> the tower serving as the other side)

I worked all 40 Zones on 40 and 80 meters to complete my 5BWAZ using
half slopers on my tower. They may not be scientific and there may be
better antennas, but they do work on occasion. You have to do lots of
calling if the pileups are big, but working some of those 40 zones from
South Dakota can be a real challenge, not matter what kind of antenna
you have, HI!

I've since switched to a BC Trapper with 40 buried radials, which seems
to get through the pileups much quicker.

YMMV.

73,

Jim
KJ0M