[TowerTalk] Re: Topband: New Antenna

DAVID CUTHBERT DAVIDNNAN at MSN.COM
Sun Dec 26 19:49:55 EST 2004

Warren,

this looks like a good start. Are the elements isolated on the 4-40? I am assuming that they are and ran a quick simulation that shows the shunt feed working well at about the 50' level. If you give me dimensions and such I will be glad to do any simulations for you.

I would not bother with the 35 foot mast- you want as much vertical height as you can get to get the radiation resistance up.

    Dave WX7G
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: WarrenWolff at aol.com<mailto:WarrenWolff at aol.com>
  To: towertalk at contesting.com<mailto:towertalk at contesting.com> ; topband at contesting.com<mailto:topband at contesting.com>
  Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2004 12:29 PM
  Subject: Topband: New Antenna

  Greetings,

  I have a question about choices on 160 meters.

  I expect to have a new home at Lake Havasu City next  summer.
  I will have a 60/70 foot fixed tower topped by a couple of  OptiBeams
  (16-4 and a 4-40).

  About 100 feet away, I expect to have a 30/35 foot flag  pole.

  What is my best way to get on 160 with this arrangement?   A couple
  of ideas come to mind.

       1)   Shunt feed the  tower
  2)   Use a wire between the top of  the tower and the top of  the
  flagpole  to use as top loading for vertical wire in the  center
  of  it.
  3)   Extend an arm out from the top of  the tower, say around  6-8
  feet and  drop some kind of vertical element to be base-fed.

  Advice is needed; please don’t say I am nuts.

  Warren; W5KKW