[TowerTalk] coiled antennas

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 14:55:25 EST 2004

Chris,

Coiled antennas (a.k.a. slinkys, a.k.a. giant rubber ducks) were advertized
in the ham magazines around 20 years ago.  Someone made them commercially, I
forget whom.  I have not seen them advertized in a long time.   They seemed
to be somewhat popular for awhile with folks looking for something that
would resonate at long wavelengths in a limited space, i.e. indoors across
an apt.  living room/dining room & fastened to the ceiling.  I heard once
that it was not a good idea to use these things for any sort of high
power--you'd want to limit yourself to no more than exciter power with one
because of the QRO voltage peaks along the coils, arcing, setting drywall on
fire, and the field/flux making everything nearby go haywire.   Outside I
expect they'd droop a lot and swing around in the wind unless you ran taught
dacron through them to hold them up.
I've just given you the extent of my slinky knowledge.

Rob Atkinson
K5UJ