[TowerTalk] Grounding Rod Lenght

Alan C. Zack k7acz at cox.net
Tue Feb 17 11:11:47 EST 2004

Thanks for all the good info.  I do have to have a NV wet stamp on the
UST drawings.  Their outside contracted PE provides their work to the
sales guy at UST who in turn sells it to me for $250.00.  At least
that was the last quoted price for UBC-97 specs at 90 MPH.  Now I'm
waiting for them to see if they can give the specs under IBC-2000.
This is just to get a bldg permit for a base 3 ft by 3 ft by 4 ft
deep.
There are no ARRL PE's in NV so says ARRL Hdqts, so I have to go with
a local guy or the PE working for UST who does have a NV PE stamp.  I
decided to go with the UST guy as he has all the UST paperwork at his
disposal.  I also can't find anyone to pour such a small plot of
concrete.  I may end up getting my driveway widened and the tower base
poured as a side job to the driveway.
As you say, this is a learning experience.  First I just downloaded
UST base drawings from the internet and took it to the Bldg dept.
They told me that was OK, but it needed a NV PE wet stamp.  As I was
leaving, he told me BTW, you also need wind calcs for 90 MPH.  The 90
MPH wind calcs have been the problem.  Later, on the phone I tried to
talk them into accepting the already computed 70 MPH wind calcs UST
provides free of charge but they tell me under IBC-2000 it must be 90
MPH.

Jim Lux wrote:

> [...]

                                     Alan Zack
                     Amateur Radio Station K7ACZ
                         Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
          Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
                               SEMPER PARATUS