[TowerTalk] Ham IV Sticking Solenoid problem

Steve Gilbert g3oag at steve.treblig.org
Tue Feb 17 13:00:42 EST 2004

After refurbishing my Ham IV rotator with a new potentiomer and new ball
bearings, (the old ones had gone black as damp had gone into the casing), the
one problem that remains is the fact that the brake solenoid and armature seem
to have become magnetized, so that when the brake is released and there is no
current, the armature does not release. I tightened up the return springs, but
this made no difference. The only way around this seems to be to place a thin
non-magnetic layer, like a layer of PVC tape across the pole piece of the
solenoid, so that the magnetic circuit is broken. The armature then goes back
every time, BUT the solenoid tends to buzz !!! Any great ideas???..Steve, G3OAG