[TowerTalk] SteppIR vs Multi-monoband yagis

Al, N6TA n6ta at arrl.net
Wed Feb 18 12:37:16 EST 2004

I, like another recent poster, am going through the decision process on
which yagi(s) to purchase.  Have seriously considered the Force 12 C31XR for
20-15-10 and a WARC-7 for 30-17-12.  It looks like the Optibeam is similar
to the Force 12 in concept with different construction techniques.

The other option is the SteppIR for all bands from 20 and above.  This looks
like a very convenient choice for obvious reasons:  one antenna vs two and a
good boom length for 20M.

However, my question relates to performance of fixed element spacing over
such a wide frequency range.  The Multi-monobanders allow for the elements
for a given band to be placed as desired, i.e. not too wide on 10M or too
close for 20M.  Also, the C31 has more elements on 15 and 10M than the
SteppIR.  No doubt there are drawbacks to the extra metal on the boom
impacting performance on any one band though I have no idea of the magnitude
of the 'problem'.  Perhaps miniscule.

Also, I cannot get 30M with the SteppIR from what I can tell.

Any comments will help me and perhaps others that suffer from only
experience with olde trap yagis or individual one band yagis.  I am
graduating from the TH6DXX and 204BA.

Thanks in advance,
Al