[TowerTalk] 40' tower for only $179.00!

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Tue Feb 24 20:36:07 EST 2004

I know the one made out of 4X4s (or maybe it was 2X4s but I think 4X4s) used to be in all the antenna books.  I'd be much more comfortable with 4X4s!  I guess they're available in 16-footers.  If so, you could get up over 30' with a pretty sturdy tiltover!

Put the base in concrete, do it right -- if you use a 16-footer on that one too, and have 4+ feet in concrete, you'd have as much as 12' on that bottom one, then a pair of 16-footers, and another 16-footer out the top.  Allowing for the necessary overlap...how's the math work out?  If you figure a minimum of 2' overlap, maybe that's as much as 40' high!
Work out a really reliable "stop" on one side and a winch on the other to control it during tilt over, and some kind of bar to drop in place on the winch side when it's up...

73 - Rich, KE3Q