[TowerTalk] G5RV

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Sat Jan 3 20:37:01 EST 2004

... but Dino, if you remove the coax/balun/twinlead then the antenna is
no longer a resonant antenna system on 20 meters, as designed (e.g. it's
no longer a G5RV).  It's just a random length dipole fed with low-loss
ladder line by an antenna matching network.  No rocket science there.

The advantage of the G5RV is that it's a resonant antenna that exhibits
some gain in certain radiation lobes, but only on 20 meters.  That's all
Louis ever intended it to be, I believe.  Everything else written about
the antenna is marketing hype, IMHO.  But you don't have to take my word
for it; go back and read his article in the Compendium instead.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ

Dino Darling wrote:

> Hornets nest....yep!
>
> I was told to REMOVE the balun (mine was a Van Gordon voltage balun) and
> hook the coax directly to the ladder line.  I instead cut my antenna at
> the center insulator and got rid of the coax/balun/twinlead and
> installed 450 ohm ladder line directly to a tuner and each 51' leg.  It
> works MUCH better than the G5RV ever did!!!

<snip>