[TowerTalk] Cable lubricant comments

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 12:06:20 EST 2004

Howdy, TowerTalkians --

    Here's some feedback from Les Nuhn, NN6K, about PreLube 6 - the cable
lubricant recommended by wire rope manufacturers and carried by Champion Radio
Products -  <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com">www.championradio.com</A>.
Tnx, Les!

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
Champion Radio Products
888-833-3104

>>  Hi Steve:

I want to let you I am very impressed with PreLube 6.

It was applied to my wire rope lifting cables & pulleys the day after New
Year's Day by my tower man who had been there the day before to repair a broken
element on the KT34XA.

I was concerned the PreLube would spray all over the place ... thus wasting
it ... so he wrapped a plastic bag over the cable, then cupped both in his
hand. He sprayed very small amounts at a time ... and as I stood off to the side
in the bright sunlight, could actually see it ... like a droplet, spiraling
downward as the wire rope above it became saturated and gravity caused the
downward flow.  It worked great as when the circling droplet stopped, he would
reposition himself about another 6 feet lower on the tower and repeat the process.
I have plenty left over albeit he used it on a 3 section 55' crank up.

Previously, I applied it to the wire rope on the winch and was amazed at how
fast it was absorbed into the strands. It reminded me of a wick dipped in
Kerosene as far as absorption was concerned.

So ... in a nutshell, I think it's a very, very good product and would
recommend it to anyone.

BTW ... the tower is a Tristao TX-455 of 1980 vintage. I've had it up since
then ... and the finish still remains excellent. I live about 8 miles east of
San Diego Bay and the Pacific Ocean as exposure to salt air is concerned. The
wire rope & pulleys are original. The XA is also from that 1980 time and the
Balun needed replacing just once. It was a Lexan Bracket on the read driven
element that fractured ... and when I discovered the damage, was suspended in the
air by just the one phasing strap. I am on my 3rd T2X with the tower. The Coax
has been replaced once. >>