[TowerTalk] TX-455 Engineering Drawings

Jim Venneman wx6v at msn.com
Thu Jan 8 13:56:48 EST 2004

Greetings,

Many thanks to all of you who sent me comments last week concerning my plot
plan question. All were most helpful.

I now have a new problem and not sure how to proceed. Our county's Building
Dept wants two wet-stamped copies of engineering drawings for the TX-455
tower with my permit application. I have copies of old engineering drawings
that were used when the current owner of this tower erecetd it in a
neighboring county in 1995. Problem is - I am talking about an old U.S.
Towers TX-455 that was built around 1991-92. The TX-455 now has a different
design and the company engineer will not wet-stamp the old drawings for me,
saying that building code requirements have changed and the old tower won't
comply with existing wind load standards. I don't know whether they are
telling me the truth or whether they hope that I'll purchase a new TX-455
instead. They did suggest I try contacting a local engineer for a possible
wet-stamp on the old drawings. I'm wondering why an engineer would do this
if the tower is out of compliance, as they say? So - should I try
sweet-talking the county into accepting my old drawings along with a current
wet-stamped copy of the updated base diagram or just forget the whole thing
and start saving my money for the new tower design?

Thanks,

Frustrated in Auburn, Ca.

Jim  -WX6V-