[TowerTalk] noise flow analysis?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 9 11:35:04 EST 2004

At 05:22 PM 1/9/2004 +0000, David Robbins K1TTT wrote:
>Amazing what you can find on google:
>
>"Noise flow" references:
>http://www.eedesign.com/story/OEG19991109S0038

That one is about analyzing noise and timing jitter in VLSI designs. Not
applicable to BPL type analyses

>http://www.sm.go.dlr.de/sm-sk_info/library/documents/EGSciVis95/oil-7.ht
>ml

That one is about comparing the "spot noise" technique to using  oil films
for airflow visualization in a wind tunnel. I have no idea what the spot
noise technique is, although I am familiar with the oil film approach.  Not
even vaguely connected to BPL

>http://www.wtec.org/loyola/subseafe/c2_poi.htm

Oceanography?  Acoustics again.  By the way, analyzing the nonuniformities
in the noise field is a good way to detect things trying to hide, without
using active sonar.

>http://signalintegrity.com/Pubs%5Cnews%5C1_6.htm

About bypass capacitors, and filtering noise on PCBs... No BPL relevance
there (except perhaps for making sure the customer premises equipment meets
Part 15?)

>http://www.ece.rochester.edu/~friedman/presentations/msicdvgs_pdf/msicdp
>art1.pdf

"Substrate Coupling and INterconnect Noise in Mixed-signal and High Speed
Digital ICs"
Seems more like the first reference..

>noise-flow diagrams:
>http://www.engr.udayton.edu/ENtech/comp/courses/ECT454.htm

This one is about acoustic noise...and identifying paths for acoustic noise
flow.  Probably not totally applicable to RF noise which has a different
propagation method.

 > >Somebody help me out here.  I've worked with obscure technologies
> > >for 30 years or so...what's 'noise flow'?

So, nothing even remotely relevant to doing a "noise flow" analysis for BPL.

Here's my guess:

He meant to say: "Noise Floor", which would make sense.