[TowerTalk] noise flow

W0UN -- John Brosnahan shr at swtexas.net
Sat Jan 10 10:36:15 EST 2004

>"Noise Flow Analysis", "Noise Floor Analysis"

 From my semi-extensive experience with newspaper
articles about me and various business I have been
involved with I am more inclined to believe that any
errors, such as the "noise flow vs. noise floor" issue
were probably generated by the reporter through
inexperience with the topic rather than from a poorly
informed spokesperson for the technology.

A lot of words have been written about "noise flow" that
are probably a waste of verbiage since this specific
issue is minutia and is probably just one of mis-hearing
what was said in an interview.

There are really only three areas to do battle with BPL
that make any sense.

1)  the technical merits of the system to the end user
of the technology
2)  the impact of the technology on other users of the RF
spectrum, and
3) the financial viability of the technology to the investors.

Anything else is "in the noise" of the issue.  (Love it
when I can sneak something in like that!)

Technologies are not always selected based on their
technically merit--the classical example of this is VHS
vs. Beta.  Other examples are the battles between
current technologies for DVD writing.  Just because a
technology is "bad" or at least "not good" is not a good
prediction of its introduction (if not success) in the marketplace.

As Jim Jarvis has stated, responses to the threat of BPL
should cover all three of the key areas of debate.

1)  It doesn't solve any issues of the end user that aren't better
addressed with other technologies.
2)  It causes much harm to the electro-magnetic environment and has
already been rejected by a number of countries who have tested BPL
in some detail.
3)  It  does not appear to be a good investment compared to the
competing technologies.  BPL being only a "me-too" sort of option
for the utilities to get in on the internet boom--way too long after that
ship has sailed (or sunk?).

And there are certainly more appropriate forums for this debate to
take place, such as    rfi at contesting.com    Cross posting some of
the comments has resulted in the river of information flow being
split into separate streams, reducing the sum total of its impact.

73--John   W0UN