[TowerTalk] Freeway lighting monopoles

Thomas Miller ac5tm at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 16 22:00:18 EST 2004

We have clearance lighting on out smoke stacks where I work.  There is a
cable that runs inside a pipe to the light and another trolley cable to
guide the light down.  As the light starts to be lowered it unplugs itself
the trolley cable keeps it from hitting the stack on the way down and guides
it back into the socket on the way up.  It is all done with a hand crank
thankfully I have not been picked to change these lamps(a whole lot of
cranking).  The lights along the interstate as similar but I do not think
they use a trolley cable and rather use the pole itself.  I have seen this
method used inside buildings with very high ceilings.
Tom