[TowerTalk] New member.... Antenna limitations.

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 09:12:13 EST 2004

At 09:44 PM 1/20/2004 +1000, Bob M. wrote:
>G'day and Hi to one and all,
>I'm a new member here and new to HF. I'm in Australia and living in an over
>50's complex of duplexes with the usual body corporate rules..... no
>aerials,no towers. bla blah.
>
>I've picked up a TS530S some will need to cover all the Bands
>10m to 160m. and maybe a little either side if I patch the unit with it's
>options. I need an antenna that I can conceal within my roof space.
>I have seen a "cobweb" that looks like our Hills Hoist cloths line. that
>looks promising but very exy in cost.
>
>So I'm looking for something that I can do a Homebrew onto and get started..
>even if I need to do it in sages with one band at a time.  I also have a
>basic 2mtr coming so I would like to make something for that as well.
>
>What I'm asking is where can I find suitable plans for such items and is it
>possible to build what I need. I may be able to use a vertical but I think
>they would be to long.]
>
>Thanks in advance and I'm looking to make a few new friends and gain a lot
>of new knowledge from being here.
>
>Regards
>Bob M.

Is a Hills Hoist legal?  (In my area of Southern California, exterior
clothes lines are even more anathema than antennas).  If it is legal, it
might work as a toploaded vertical with a few mods.

Practically speaking, I'd just start with any old wire and a decent
automatic tuner at the feed point and see how it works.