[TowerTalk] Weight of Chromolly

gdaught6 at Stanford.edu gdaught6 at Stanford.edu
Tue Jan 20 13:13:57 EST 2004

On 20 Jan 2004 at 14:25, Mark Beckwith wrote:

> >Can anyone give me an Idea how much a
> >20' x 1/4" piece of Chromolly tubing would weigh?
>
> I've lifted one or two of these and from what I remember it was 12 pounds
> per foot.  I should add "with a little help from my friends."

That seems high to me.  I got one a couple of years ago, (20
feet long, 1/4 inch wall, and... the missing dimension... 2"
outside diameter) and I recall it being something like 115
pounds.  At least that's the weight the shipper charged for.
Two of us could lift it with minimal grunting, so the 115
number seems right.

73,

George T. Daughters
Associate Professor of Cardiothoracic Surgery (Consulting)
Stanford University School of Medicine
Stanford, CA  94305