[TowerTalk] Weight of mast material

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Tue Jan 20 21:41:08 EST 2004

I don't know about the mast per se, but your overall plan concerns me.

Assuming that the 40m antenna you are talking about is the Cushcraft
XM240, a little math shows:

            Weight      Wind area (sq ft)
mast         90                2 (est.)
C31XR        82               10.7
XM240        55                5.5

totals       227              18.2

Rohn 25G is only rated for 8 sq ft at 70 ft. & 110 mph per their
drawings (you are in 105 mph land, per EIA/TIA 222, so you need to
design for that).  Also, 227 lbs rotating weight is a LOT for the 25G
structure to withstand.  How will you control the torque caused by the
antenna stopping & windmilling?

If you're married to the idea of a 70 ft 25G tower, one thing you should
do is get an aluminum alloy mast.  Cuts down the weight dramatically.
Another thing to do would be to not use a 40m beam.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ