[TowerTalk] New power line phenomena problem

edoc kd4e at verizon.net
Fri Jan 23 20:57:30 EST 2004

Peter Larsen wrote:

>Many people have died from induction. I have worked on a 138 KV line
>that was dead and grounded 10 feet either side of me. But it was within
>20 feet of a live line. Without the grounds I would have been killed or at
>a minimum very badly burnt. It was so "hot" in my bucket that sparks were
>going between my tools.
>
>Peter
>VE6YC
>25 years as a lineman

OK, I have a practical application.

Our new QTH property is 330 wide and 1600 feet long.  It came with a
power line
right-of-way along one side (new 12,000 volt wires on very tall concrete
posts I believe).

The perimeter of the property is ringed with multiple strands of
ungrounded barbed wire
on wood posts.  We have added some additional somewhat dense pattern
welded fencing
in portions of the property.

When I put up my 60 foot push-up pole, my 60-70 foot Rohn 25 tower, and my
long wire antennas what sort of proximity should I avoid?

Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e