[TowerTalk] New power line phenomena problem

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 14:01:21 EST 2004

I think you'd have a hard time getting usable power from this scheme. The
precautions about grounding parallel fences etc are more aimed at transients
(lightning and switching).

Consider this:

assume a 500kV AC line 50 feet away
Let's try capacitive coupling:

What's the capacitance between two small wires 50 feet apart?  Femto farads?
model it as a pair of 2" wide plates 50 feet (600 inches) apart. C=.224 *
A/D pF, where A is in square inches and D is in inches.. So: .224 * 2 /600
pF/linear inch. Or, .74 fF/inch.   A 100 foot long run would be just under a
pF.  At 60 Hz, the impedance would be about 400,000 Gigaohms. (X=
1/(377*1E-12).. I don't think you're going to get much current, even at
500kV. (transients are a different matter: the frequency is higher, so the
impedance is lower, etc.)  Also, since power lines are usually run in sets,
the fields cancel, particularly at any distance.

If you run the calculations for inductive coupling, you wind up with a
similar finding.  Transients are a problem, steady state isn't.

Interestingly, there IS a fairly high field under a power line (although
there's not much power there) which is sufficient to ionize the mercury
vapor in a flourescent tube (although, it takes a time exposure of 1/2
second or more, on a dark night, to see it).
235 kV (a more common voltage)/50 feet -> 5-10 kV/foot  30kV/meter

You could probably get more power from the blowing dust hitting the wire or
from the earth's electric field (a few kV/meter) than from incidental
coupling to a power line.