[TowerTalk] Re: Rohn 45G foldover questions

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Mon Jan 26 13:25:37 EST 2004

Mahlon,

As you know, I have the 25G foldover type, and the best I can tell, is that
the only time it would make a difference if you have these bolts in or not
is when the tower hits the ground and breaks apart. Then having the bolts
in may help the pieces stay together a little longer.

As long as the boom is secured, the strength of the boom and its attach
points on the tower is much greater than the brakets where the bolts go.
Picture the bolts in and someone forcing the boom up. Something will give,
and it won't be the boom.

73,
Didier KO4BB

PS: do you still have that Rohn 25G foldover manual?

At 08:06 AM 1/22/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 mahlonhaunschild at cox.net wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of questions pertaining to Rohn 45G foldover tower
design & installation.  I have studied the most recent Rohn installation
guide for the 25G and 45G towers.  My 45G foldover tower will be 68 ft,
installed by the book (e.g. two sets of four guys each, per the guying
diagram in the book.  Five foot deep by three feet square concrete base,
w/UFER ground rebar cage).  And actually it's the book that prompts my
questions, as you will see:

>> 2.  Are the two bolts used to bolt the hinge together at the shipping
flanges during installation (but removed to fold the tower over) to be
reinstalled after the tower is raised back to the vertical position, or are
the two hinge
>> bolts plus the boom sufficient to keep everything in line during normal
use?  (this assumes that the bottom of the boom is pinned where it
encircles the tower leg).  The book says to remove the bolts to fold the
tower over, but never tells you to put them back after you put it back up.
Putting those two bolts back in their holes might be a bit difficult...