FW: Re: [TowerTalk] one way coupler

Tom McDermott tom.mcdermott4 at verizon.net
Fri Jan 30 15:31:35 EST 2004

Sure, it's called a 'circulator' - a 3-port device. If you terminate one of
the ports with a resistive load, it's usually called an 'isolator'. The
reflected power is dumped into the dummy load, so the transmitter sees a 1:1
SWR even if the load impedance is mismatched. They are used a lot at VHF and
up. The broadband ones at VHF and up use magnetic films and a strong magnet.
It should be possible to build one for HF over a narrow frequency range
using phasing lines, but it may prove more difficult to make it broadband at
HF.

Typically, phased antennas will have significant mutual impedance, so power
will couple between the elements. It may be easier to combine the two
amplifier outputs, and then figure out how to match the summed output to the
individual elements.  Forest Gehrke, K2BT wrote the definitive work on
feeding multi-element vetical arrays in Ham Radio Magazine: "Vertical Phased
Arrays: Part 1" through Part-6, May, June, July, Oct, Dec 1983, And May
1984. Purchasing the Ham Radio CDROM set would be worth it for that one
series alone.

   -- Tom, N5EG