[TowerTalk] Funniest thing I've seen in weeks

doc kd4e at verizon.net
Thu Jul 1 17:44:19 EDT 2004

> I should think that if you optimized the antenna, there wouldn't be a
> significant difference between feeding at the back or the front.
> Feeding in the middle is always going to be better.  In fact, doing a
> quick optimization, I get F/B ratios within 0.5 dB and gains within
> 0.5dB for feeding either the front or the back element
>> 73, ... Joe, K4IK

If I recall from a friend who was optimizing 6M beams he said that
other than the initial gain/pattern value of the first reflector the
second best value of the reflector was keeping signals "off the back"
to a minimum.  I think he added a second to optimize that effect and
then added a couple of directors to end up with a very narrow focal
point in his pattern.

I am guessing that no reflector and all directors would make for a
gain antenna with poor FB ratio.

I'd guess that all reflectors and no directors would have a broad
pattern off the front and severe restriction of signals off the back.

Are your software runs not showing that to be so?

73, doc kd4e