[TowerTalk] Vertical Base Insulators

Daly, Greg TQO gdaly at tqs.com
Fri Jul 2 12:51:55 EDT 2004

Dan:

     For the truly frugal way out, I've used a Coke bottle stuck in the
bottom of my 50 foot Rohn push up mast, and a 12 inch square cinder block to
keep it from sinking into the mud (I'm in Oregon, do you guys know about mud
in California?)  I've also used old telephone line insulators, McLaughlin
#19 are very common and the insulator collectors let them go for cheap if
they aren't a nice color.... They have a nice domed top for the mast to rest
on, with a 3 inch skirt to keep the insulator from getting shoved up into
the mast, and they are a nice sized chunk of glass.... If it shatters the
mast is only going to drop a few inches, and replacements are cheap.... I
don't know the breakdown voltage from the skirt of the insulator to ground,
but it's got to be several KV. If you're worried about the base sliding
around, telephone line insulators are threaded to screw onto a peg on the
cross arm on the pole, you could have it rest on something similar

73 Greg WB7RSG