[TowerTalk] What Welder Makes Good Exothermic Bonds?

doc kd4e at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 14:33:51 EDT 2004

> If you are talking ground rods, it's by far cheaper (and easier) to just
> purchase a few "one shot" cartidges. Everything comes premeasured.  You just
> fit the form around the rod, put the ground wire in the opening(s) provided,
> pack dirt around the form, pour in the charge, put on the top, add the
> igniter charge,  and touch it off with an igniter.
> http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm

It would appear that I am looking at 12-15 ground rod welds, plus maybe
some rebar welds, that's a lot of disposable "one shots"!  ;-)

>>I will not only be using it for the house and tower-related

> I would add that using a TIG welder is very much like using an OxyAcetylene
> torch, but the heat is supplied by an arc. The arc supplies the heat and you
> feed in the rod just like brazing or torch welding.  As with MIG welding you
> need a nice calm day outside.

So far I am seeing TIG welders for $900. - $4,000!  Out of my range
for sure!  Perhaps something used/refurbished?

I have yet to find any reference to copper and references to
only certain models sufficient for aluminum.  Hmmm.

Guess I need to keep learning and searching.

73, doc kd4e