[TowerTalk] Buried Pvc For Coax Run

Carl R. Stevenson wk3c at wk3c.com
Mon Jul 5 09:51:42 EDT 2004

I have a couple of underground 2" sechedule 40 electrical conduit PVC runs
for coax to get from the house to where the base of/under the feedpoint of
antennas that are away from the house ... I used "sweeps" (large radius 90
degree fittings) at the ends to ease the bending radius on the coax.  Then I
added a "service head" at the top of each sweep to allow coaxes to exit
without allowing water in. (remember to make a "drip loop" below the service
head)

I did NOT use perforated PVC pipe or drill any drain holes in the bottom.  I
think that would allow water to rise up into the conduit.

In any event, the coax used is rated for direct burial/non-contaminating
jacket ... I would use no less outdoors.  The conduit is mostly to protect
the coax from the rocky ground here, from rodent chewing, and from the
mower/weed-wacker.
(and to allow easily pulling replacement/additional coax cables without
having to dig again)

73,
Carl - wk3c