[TowerTalk] RCS-4 Coax Switch

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Mon Jul 5 12:13:07 EDT 2004

I worked for Ameritron for many years,and I can say the
overall failure rate of the RCS-4 was very low. The vast
majority of problems were user issues like connecting the
control unit incorrectly (on the wrong side of tuners or
backwards) or water in connectors or shorted feedline
cables.

I don't have an exact number, but my recollection was only a
few dozen failures out of many thousands of units sold. Most
of the failures were relay contact contamination (dirty
contacts).

There were some choke failures due to a bad batch of RF
chokes.

I'm sure quality slipped a little with MFJ, but field
failures remained very low.

73 Tom