[TowerTalk] ICE lightning arrestor question

Dave NØRQ n0rq-1 at dfwair.net
Mon Jul 5 16:19:47 EDT 2004

I have an ICE model 302 (U) lightning arrestor, used for 2m,
and started having intermittent SWR swings.  I took the arrestor
out, as something to try first.  (I'm still not sure if that was the
issue or not.)

Anyway, I took the covers off to look inside, and now am not
sure which way to put it back together.  This is just a bit
embarrassing...  but I can't tell which is the "Rig" SO-239
and which one is for the "Antenna".

There is a picture of one about halfway down the page at
http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/thorshammer.htm
-- the first pic with the covers off.  Is the "Rig" side the one
with the bleeder resistor, or the one with the gas tube?
I have no other ICE coax protectors to compare it to.

(Without trying to start a debate on lightning arrestor brands/
designs, I have some of each, ICE, AD, and PolyP -- just
happen to have only 1 ICE coax model, though I have 2 of
their rotor controller units.)

Thanks & 73,
Dave NØRQ