[TowerTalk] RCS-4 Coax Switch

Alan AB2OS ab2os at att.net
Tue Jul 6 07:12:58 EDT 2004

So do you have any comment on this exchange copied from the
alt.home.repair newsgroup (originally concerning whole-house power-line
surge arrestors):

">Reality check here....I don't care what surge protection you use, if
 >>lightning hits your stuff its fried.

Incorrect.  The building I work at (TV station) has equipment connected
to an
antenna on the top of a tower that has an actual structure height of
1,976 feet
tall, height above average terrain is even more than that.  This is
taller than
the tallest building in the world.  This tower is struck many times a
year, and
has in fact been struck several times today (I can see it from where I
live out
the front window, even though it is 12 miles away).  Our equipment is
running
just fine, thanks.  The transmitter is directly connected to the antenna, no
'lightning arrestor' of any kind in between.  How the hell does it
survive this?
EARTH GROUNDING.  We do have some AC surge protection on the building in
case
the power lines are struck, but the biggest problem would seem to be the
tower
itself being struck, yet in over 30 years of operation there has been
almost no
lightning damage at this facility.  The last equipment 'failure'
attributed to
lightning was about five years ago when an AC surge popped a couple of
filter
caps in a power supply causing some hum in the audio.

True lightning protection is possible, and should be able to prevent
most strike
damage.  There will always be that possibility of "The big one",
especially in a
residential protection system where spending thousands of dollars on
grounding
may not be feasible, economically, or otherwise."

Alan AB2OS

On 07/05/04 10:53 am Mike put fingers to keyboard and launched the
following message into cyberspace: