[TowerTalk] Lighting

RICHARD BOYD ke3q at msn.com
Tue Jul 6 21:41:11 EDT 2004

Many people have described observing this anecdotally, like W0UN with his 50
to 100-mile view in Colorado, lighting strikes would cease when they neared
his antenna farm and pick up again a couple miles on the other side.

Many of us have also observed the tic-tic-tic of static discharge coming in
on a coax.

I doubt these things "prevent" a lightning strike, but I personally do
believe they help discharge the atmosphere near the antenna farm, which
helps prevent some strikes.  This effect may be much more pronounced with a
multi-tower station than with just one tower.

On a dry winter day when you're walking on the carpet at the office and then
touch the metal drinking fountain you get a sudden static discharge,
analogous to a lightning strike (though micro).  Touch something metal every
few steps and the charge cannot build up to such a size.  You are
discharging the buildup before it gets so big.

73 - Rich, KE3Q