[TowerTalk] Re: Lightning & Power Lines

Gene Smar ersmar at comcast.net
Wed Jul 7 17:48:47 EDT 2004

Doc:

     I assume you're asking whether the nearby pole line will adversely
impact your station's lightning strike vulnerability and survivability.  No,
not significantly.  The fact that you have a power line of that voltage
tells me that your planned home will not be fed directly (via a drop wire
set) from this line.  So no need to worry about burying said drop line
between the poles and your service meter (although you might want to do that
with your actual service entrance cable - have the utility bury it when you
start construction).  Any lightning strike on the power line will probably
create noise (QRN) in your receivers, but then why would you be operating
your station during a thunder/lightning storm?

     The thing I would watch (listen) for would be such QRN from dirty
insulators or other failing equipment on that line.  You might want to
conduct some preliminary tests with a portable AM/SW radio receiver
underneath the line.  Try to get an idea of the type of RF environment
you'll be building next to.  Then, if the noise is significant (your
definition), approach the local utility trouble guys for help.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F