[TowerTalk] Splicing Telephone Poles

WarrenWolff at aol.com WarrenWolff at aol.com
Thu Jul 8 00:52:35 EDT 2004

I have seen some loooong telephone poles spliced.  It was  in 1962
outside Walker AFB NM (long gone).  On a hilltop north  east of
town near the VOR was an HF helix like you have never  seen.  It
was tuned for HF band and was rotatable!!  Sorry to say,  I have
searched and searched and found no one to tell what the  facility
really was.  I got a few peeps inside before they slammed  the doors
in my face.  I estimate that it was an early experimental  OTH site
running around 100KW ( 4+ giant EIMAC tubes---4CX25000A3 or  something like
that---Collins transmitter).  Had no ham facilities on line  to have heard what
might have been  coming out of it.  Seems to me that there
was a steel-looking collar splicing the  boom where the two telephone
poles butted each other.

It was a long time ago.  Maybe  some one on here can recall that site.

Warren; W5KKW