[TowerTalk] Hygain Hy-tower on 160 & 80

Gregg E. Salomone spectrum at shs-medstaff.com
Fri Jul 9 11:35:45 EDT 2004

I'm back again!
I have a Hygain Hy-tower and have been using the base mounted loading coil for 80 meters. The power rating for that coil cannot exceed 300 watts or the antenna will arc.
I purchased the side mounted MK160A unit that causes the tower to act as an inverted L on 160. This unit essentially eliminates the base coil which raises the operating resonant frequency on 80 into the phone portion. I tapped the coil for cw on 80. I operate on cw.
Has anyone ever purchased the MK160A unit but modified the tower in any way to make the 80 band resonant in the cw portion?
While I'm still on the subject...has anyone out there had high swr on 15 with this antenna which I have assembled and reassembled per instruction but without improving the swr on 15?
It is a great antenna but I miss my beams!
73 Gregg