[TowerTalk] Stacking Distance for M2'd 6m7JHV?

Bill Tippett btippett at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 13 07:13:33 EDT 2004

W6RMK wrote:
 > It might be interesting to trade that scheme (which has 4 possible
 > settings) against a scheme where you combine the two antennas with
 > 0,90,180, or 270 degrees phase shift between them, which also has 4
 > settings.

W5WVO wrote:>But how to model the
effect of various phase shifts on take-off angle? Does anyone have a handle on
that? I don't know of any software that is set up to do the math involved in
this scenario. Any ideas or recommendations?

         HFTA will handle 0 and 180 degrees, but not 90 and 270.  From
what I recall when playing around with various phasing combinations using
Eznec, 0 and 180 are really the most useful cases anyway.  N6BV might
want to comment so I'm copying him on this.

                                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV

  From page 16 of HFTA documentation:

Out-of-Phase Feed There is a useful new feature in HFTA that earlier
versions (such as YT) didn't have. You may choose to use out-of-phase drive
to individual antennas in a stack. You do this by appending an asterisk (*)
to the end of a height number. For example, in a stack at 90, 60 and 30
feet, you might run the top 90-foot high antenna out-of-phase with the two
lower Yagis. Enter 90* in the top left text box. Although employing
out-of-phase drive is not often useful in terms of increasing the overall
performance of a stack of Yagis, sometimes it can cover high angles that a
stack or any single antenna cannot accomplish because of a steep
mountainous terrain.