[TowerTalk] Need for a thrust bearing

Julio Peralta jperalta at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Jul 18 15:55:39 EDT 2004

Gentlemen I've gone trough about 150 posts in the archives trying to settle the issue of what a top mounted thrust bearing is supposed to accomplish, but I didn't find anything that I thought answered the question.

Our club here in Tampa is getting ready to finish up a 110' R45 tower install with a C31 and a MAG 240N. The question came up about taking the weight off the rotor with the thrust bearing or whether it's propose is for side loading. I have my opinion but would like to hear from others.

Is there a definitive answer to this question?

Julio, W4HY