[TowerTalk] Power lines, hawks, and fire ignition (slightly off-topic)

Gene Smar ersmar at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 13:37:43 EDT 2004

Bill et al:

     Animals like hawks (largish wing spans) and squirrels frequently meet
their demise by climbing onto or alighting on an energized power line (no
problem there) and then permitting their wing feathers or tails to contact
the pole (phase-to-ground fault) or another phase wire (ph-to-ph fault).

     I recall an article in a trade mag for the electric utility industry
over 25 years ago about a utility in So Cal (SoCalEd?) or Arizona that had
problems with eagles perching on their medium voltage transmission lines
(appr 69 kV, meaning relatively close-spaced wires and short distances to
the wood pole) and causing faults and outages due to their large wing spans.
The utility fought with animal rights activists and environmentalists for a
while until the utility came up with the idea of constructing platforms at
the very top of the double-pole structures.  As a result, the outages
ceased, the birds had a safe roosting place where they actually built nests,
and that was the end of the issue.

     The question I have about this report is how do the authorities KNOW
that it was a bird that caused the fire.  Have they been able to get close
enough to the point of origin to find the carcus?  (That's how we in the
utility industry were able to determine the cause of our line faults - we
found the poor little fried squirrel on the ground beneath the faulted
line.)  Inquiring minds want to know.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F
(former EE for an electric utility)